Protecting and preserving our region’s history at Sarina Museum
Sarina Museum, located at the Field of Dreams parklands in Sarina, celebrates the past while preserving our stories for the future.
Boasting a colourful history itself, the museum is housed in a former Catholic presbytery, built in 1923 that was later used by the Sisters of Mercy convent from 1925. As the first Catholic school in Sarina, the building was home to 82 nuns prior to its closure as a convent in 1987. After serving as a parish centre for the church and a home base for the Respite Care Centre, the presbytery was offered to the Sarina Shire Council for use as a museum in 1998 and moved to the Sarina Field of Dreams complex in 2001.
In addition to the museum building, Sarina Museum is also home to Memory Lane, a series of plaques celebrating those who have made contribution to the Sarina district and continue to serve and enrich the community
While you visit, be sure to take a look at Sarina's first fire engine dating back to 1937. Having been fully restored it is now located behind the Museum within the parklands.
In February - March, the museum is open Tuesdays and Wednesdays from 9am to 2pm.
Between the months of April and November, the museum is open Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Fridays from 9am to 2pm. Museum admission is free of charge.
Sarina Museum operates with the help of a group of dedicated volunteers, under the guidance of museum staff. The facility offers a wide variety of opportunities for volunteers to engage with history and help care for the site and its collection.
School and tours groups
School and tours group bookings are available. School tour content is aimed to enhance the Australian National Curriculum goals and key learning areas. School tours and tour groups of greater than 10 visitors must be pre-booked.